WF Tracking and Persistence for Oracle

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:22 PM
Hi Dean,

I think you're doing a great job, that the whole WF development community will benefit from, thank you.
I'm wondering what the limitations of the current release are, and what the plans are for the next (beta?) release.

Best Regards
Igor
Coordinator
Jan 21, 2008 at 3:48 PM
Hi Igor,

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated :o)

The current release has a couple of issues in the Oracle persistence implementation that were recently fixed (see Issue Tracker for more details), but other than that we're using it in production for a couple of products without issue. If you do have any issues, just raise it and it'll be fixed as a matter of priority.

In terms of functionality v0.3 does everything that Microsoft's persistence and tracking services do, with the exception of partitioning and support for querying the tracking database. Querying the tracking database will be available in the next release, I don't intend to implement partitioning. Generally I think partitioning of large tables should be a DBA task, but I'm open to debate if people really need the functionality.

I anticipate the next release will be in a couple of weeks and will be badged v0.3.1.0. As mentioned above it'll include tracking database query support and also an implementation of StateMachineWorkflowInstance (which breaks when using alternatives to Microsoft's SqlTrackingService). In fact I'll stick those details on the Planned section of the Release tab shortly.

I'd like to undergo further efforts of stabilisation before I declare an official beta; good quality unit tests are a must in order gauge the quality of the code and I'd like to get those in place as soon as possible. In addition I'd like to test much heavier load to see how we perform under extreme conditions.

Thanks,

Dean Ward
Project Co-ordinator
WFTools